Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009

Busride, Kampala, Busride, Jinja

Good morning

I left Kabale on Monday by bus, this was an adventure...holy crab. I caught the post bus in Kabale at 7 a.m. and was pleased to have a frontseat where I could stretch my legs. The pleasure was only for a short time though because on the way out of town the bus collected maaannyyy people and the front soon got packed. So, the first 3 hours on the bus were anything else but fun. I got punched in the head, people were kicking me in the side, I was squashed in my seat half of my bump almost out in the aisle because the guy sitting beside me took up half of my seat. I was considering getting off the bus and paying a private driver whatever he wanted to get me to Kampala. Fortunately, after 3 hrs it changed. A lot of people got off the bus in Mbarara and the front area wasn't as crowded afterwards. So, the rest of the 10 hrs busride I could quite enjoy.

Arriving at the post office in Kampala I had to organise transport back to Red Chilli, as Sergio (a Divemaster from Zanzibar) was waiting there for me. There were no taxis only Boda-Bodas (motorbikes) and they're supposed to be a dangerous way of transportation. I had my giant backpack and didn't really want to jump on a motorbike with it. But there was no other option so I got myself a Boda-Boda and made my way to the Red Chilli Hideaway Kampala. It was fun being on the bike. I've already travelled on a Boda-Boda but for a short distance only and therfore didn't know what to expect on a long distance drive. There were situations where I just closed my eyes and hoped I will get of it alive or without a broken leg or other injuries. It all went well and happly I landed at the backpackers. Sergio was already waiting there for me.

We decided to stay in Kampala for another 2 nights as Sergio was travelling by bus to from Dar Es Salaam to Kampala and I after travelling 10 hrs on a bus wasn't too keen either to go on travelling the next day. So Tuesday we spent in Kampala. Exploring the craft market and hiding at one of the stalls during the heavy rain on midday. It was a great day in Kampala and for the first time visiting this town I really enjoyed it.

On Wednesday we caught the shuttle to the backpacker in Jinja, where the source of the nile is. And that's where I am right now, at the backpackers. Yesterday we explored the town and went down to the Nile to enjoy the sun and a cool soda by the shore of the river. It was an amasing day with beautiful weather and nice encounters with the locals.

At night the champions league final was on and we decided to watch it at the old cinema in Jinja. It was a great experience and as the locals are so passionate about football it almost felt like being in the stadium. A lot of 'aaahss' and 'uuhhhs' and shoutings were going on at the cinema. Unfortunately, they didn't serve beer there so after the first half we changed location and watched the rest of the game at a bar in the center of town.

Today we're changing campsite and are going to stay at a camp near the falls (I forgot the name, soooorrryyyy). I'm looking forward to another relaxing day in this beautiful area.

That's all folks, stay tuned and have a beautiful day.

Keine Kommentare: