Montag, 11. Mai 2009

Arrived in Uganda

Hey guys

Arrived in Uganda althought yesterday I wasn't so convinced I would ever get here.

I was at the fullmoonparty in Zanzibar on Saturday and arranged for Maliki to pick me up on Sunday at 12 p.m. so we would make it on time to the airport in town. 12 p.m. arrived but no sign of Maliki. I called him and got the answer he's on the way. 12.30 p.m. no Maliki, my flight was at 2 p.m. I was getting nervous. Called Maliki again and got the answer, there was a car in the way and he was pushing it away, he was on the way. 12.40 p.m. Maliki arrived. I was totally nervous, couldn't stand still and smoked a million cigarettes. However, we started our journey to town but had to get fuel first.

There was no fuel at the closest petrol station so we had to get further, I was so nervous I couldn't sit still. Anyway the journey went on, Maliki was racing to the airport and at 1.30 p.m. we finally arrived. I rushed to the check-in counter where a totally calm employee told me, I had plenty of time...So, checked my luggage in waved Maliki and Kjerstie a bye bye and went to the waiting area of the airport. I made the plane and it was delayed of course. I landed in Dar Es Salaam at 2.30 p.m. and made my way to the international airport of Dar Es Salaam. Checked in for my flight to Uganda and the waiting continued. Of course I couldn't smoke at the airport but there was a very helpful employee who brought me to the toilet and stood guard while I was smoking a cigarette inside.

Finally I got on the plane to Uganda we arrived on time in Entebbe and what a surprise there was no line in front of the visa desk. Happely I went there together with some businessmen who were on my plane. We were wondering why there was another long queque in front of a small desk before the visa office but we thought this wouldn't concern us. We were WRONG. It turned out that there was a problem with some illness and every passenger coming to Uganda had to fill in a form and line up in fornt of the little desk to get a stamp to get the visa for Uganda. So we did this. It was luck for me because of that I got to talk to these businessmen and one of them offered me a lift to Kampala.

His fiancee lives in Kampala and she organised a driver for him to pick him up. Outside the airport half of the family of his fiancee was waiting for him and they gave me a warmth welcome. On the way to Kampala they explained me the different areas we were passing through and they also invited me to visit their home. We had to pass there anyway because the businessman's fiancee suffers from Malaria. So we passed by their home and I had my first local beer :-). They then drove me all the way to my backpacker and made sure I got a room. I was very lucky to get one because the backpacker was fully booked. But luck was on my side and I could spent my first night here in Uganda in a warm nice room.

Now I'm actually waiting for another room as my room is occupied by someone else. So keep your fingers crossed for me, please.

On Wednesday I'll go on safari it's already booked. So the travelling begins. Please keep your fingers crossed also for the Gorillas permit and that I'll be able to change money here :-). Thanks a lot and stay tuned

Keine Kommentare: