Sonntag, 24. Mai 2009

Back from lake Bunyonyi

Mambo vipi? Hope you're o.k. :-)

I'm back in Kabale and had 2 1/2 relaxing days at lake Bunyonyi on Itimbira island at Byoona Amagara Retreat.

I left Kabale on Thursday morning and arrived on Itimbira island at about 11 a.m. There I met Meg and Greg again and we spent half the day playing scrabble which I wasn't too bad at eventhough we played the "English" version.

Friday morning Meg and Greg left and I was left alone on the island. There were only 2 people staying at the retreat apart from me. And they were a couple freshly in love. So, I spent my day reading going for a walk, eating and relaxing. My days on the island were pretty much like this:

Get up at 8 a.m.
Eat breakfast, American pancakes (mmmhhhh soooo delicious)
Read till 12 p.m.
Go for a walk
1.30 p.m. back at the hostel and ordering lunch
Read
8 p.m. having dinner
9 p.m. going to bed

Yesterday evening though another guest and me were watching "Gorillas in the mist" it's a good movie I can definitely recommend it. However, Dian Fossy turns out to be a little bit crazy in the end. I think she was quite obsessed with the gorillas and I understand that she loved these animals very much but sometimes it seemed to be a bit too much. Anyway, what she's achieved and done for the gorillas is amazing. I think without her these wonderful creatures wouldn't be with us anymore. So, yeah she was crazy but maybe crazy in a good way for mankind ;-).

So, that's about it, about the island. The canoe ride to the island was great it took about 50 min. and on the way to the island I was afraid to move because I thought we'd turn over but the canoe was quiete stable and on the way back to the mainland I wasn't scared to move anymore. Oh and my foot fell asleep on the way back so when we reached the mainland I had to walk for about 10 min. before I could actually feel my foot again..holy crab. And something else on the way back I shared my canoe with a German girl and we also intended to share the taxi back to Kabale. I organised the canoe and the taxi back to town. So, she didn't know what price I agreed on. She's been living in Uganda the last 10 months I must say to her "rescue". Anyway, I agreed on paying 15'000 USH for the taxi which is the same price I paied when I got to lake Bunyonyi and which is about 7 US-Dollar.

So we arrived at the shore and this German girl walked over to the taxi and asked how much it was (which is a question a bit late to be asked if the taxi was ordered in advance). The driver told her 15'000, I was about to get in the taxi but the German wanted to bargain about the price. So, she told them she wouldn't pay 15'000 because it was too much. They told her that it was the price for the car and that she would share with me so she wouldn't pay 15'000. Anyway, it was too expensive for her. I was a bit embarrassed and stood by the side. In the end the guys discussing with her turned to me and told me, I should tell my friend what the price was. I told them, that I didn't have a problem to pay 15'000 and they should discuss it with her. I think I ruined her bargain in the end she got in the taxi. I know as backpacker you're supposed to bargain for everything even if it is 50 cent and I do bargain but not if I order a taxi through a hotel. I know that this is more expensive than if I ordered it myself. So, why should I invest energy in something useless? Do you know what I mean?

Yep, that's all folks. I can recommend lake Bunyonyi very much, but be prepared as there's not much to do. I'll keep you updated, stay tuned.

Keine Kommentare: